Cult Members

Jan 3, 2015

Dear 2014 : Old Year Review

Start the year with a resolution. That's what we're suppose to do. Sit down and write three completely crazy dreams which failed to be achieved by the end of the year. I decided to rediscover my 2014 and write a letter to it to say that I will kick butt in 2015.

Dear 2014, 
How are you? Do you miss me? I think its over between us. I am now with 2015 and we're making a lot of plans to be together. I think there is something missing between us. I really felt like there was no commitment to be serious.

Initially it was really stressful as I had to finish up my last semester as a senior in university. This meant lots of late nights, countless meal skipping and last minute assignments. It was as if every second of the day was committed to completing the academic writing. Do you remember that? I forgot the title of the report but I remember it was thirty pages of quotes from boring text books and useless statistics. Then I remember spending almost two hours at the printers queuing up to request for a perfect binding. It was good money used for something so unimportant.

I felt that I was so stress out and unprepared that I didn't enjoy the rush of working under pressure. Few months after that I started looking for places to do my four months attachment. There was a lot of rejection. That was not easy. I remember attending one interview 20 minutes late. It took me almost two hour by bus and train to get to the interview. I walked as fast as I could that day and ended up sweaty and out of breath throughout the session. This was the first time I learnt the importance of time management. Thank heaven that a newspaper company later took me in as an intern. That was great time for rediscovering my true passion.

I realized that knowledge gap is common among human beings in general. There were moments when I got back to the office not understanding the press conference. I improved over time. After that, I got on a plane and spent 6 weeks in the Philippines. It was like a dream come true.

Best trip e-v-e-r, I met so many young people who are equally lost but hanging in there because of faith. It was really like a story book almost fictional experience. I think that was the time when I felt most creative and also less lazy than ever. Since then I could only think about my next travel adventure.

I discovered that so many people pack their bags and get on the plane to travel for whatever reason they can find. I think during this time I lost one of my best friends to Europe. Boyfriends come and go but when good friends leave, it breaks my heart a little.

By the end of the year, all my friends went their separate ways. School is over. I had no more gossip buddies. This has forced me to find new friends. Oh my, that was a really difficult transition. Small talk is horror and you have to be courteous and aware and use your common sense and bla bla bla...Exhausting.

I have now adapted a new way to make and keep friends - via social media. Towards the end of the year, I realize that my blog is empty and no one had offered to sponsor me on holidays yet. I am jealous of bloggers with their awards and press junkets to Thailand and wherever else. My empty blog is just me rattling on for hours about well - myself. By the time you know it, 12 months have gone by. Oh 2014, this is why we need to break up. I am not my best when I am with you. Now I am with this new year and fresh hope. By the end of it, I want to pursue a career in blogging and organize travels in my spare time. I will always love you but I love me more. Muahahaha. Take care 2014, I know you'll be okay without me.

xoxo
Entan

No comments: