Cult Members

Sep 2, 2014

Is having fun expensive?

Someone once told me that if you don't have fun while travelling, than you're doing it all wrong. I used to think that this friend of mine is crazy. How can you have fun all the time? Fun is when you go backpacking and try new things. Fun is when you do whatever your heart desires without any care in the world. Fun sounds expensive.Everything cost money when you are in a foreign place. In my mind, people who travel are either very  rich or have just won the lottery . Here I am in the suburban area of Quezon City and fearing that my pile of money would run dry soon.

I paused and wonder why money is such a big problem for me. I was a college student for god's sake and survived my three years on barely peanuts amount. I suppose fear got the best of me - fear of something new. Can you relate to that?

Yesterday I was offered to go backpacking with a couple of girls from the house. They asked me many times but I could not bring myself to say yes. My hands was on my pocket the entire time. It was great fear to think about spending on something I consider "unnecessary". Then the more I think about it the greater regret I have about saying no to the offer. Backpacking is not just about going to a place, its a time to bond and give value to friendship. Plus backpacking in groups means that there is someone to watch your bag while you go to the loo. 

Last night, I decided that something need to be done and I want to make space and time to travel Philippines with people who actually enjoy travelling. I felt that my old system of allocating a fix amount for every week was not effective. I realized that some days you would spend  more while there are days when you don't leave the house. Counted all my money and budget it properly. 

Now my financial budget is no longer allocated by weeks but by type of activities that I want to carry out throughout my stay. Here is my new way of diving the money: 

Activity
Percentage (%)
Rent
10
Taxi Money for Airport Ride
5
Weekly Allowance
45
Travel / Backpacking
40

After this I hope to start travelling and see places because what's the point of coming all this way to stay in house with WiFi. I could do that at home too. Thank you Mr.Common Sense ( Mr.Common Sense lives in my brain ) for helping me with this budget strategy. I love you. 

No comments: