Cult Members

Nov 19, 2014

Fancy a cup of horror?

kelibat
://malay term for something seen in a flash//:


The only type of movie worth watching at the cinema is the ones labelled "horror", "terror" and "PG13". If I had it my way, action movies and chic flicks should have less show time. Well, that's never going to happen in Malaysia because people are always hungry for puppy love and good times tale.

I decided  to revisit the cinema and indulge in horror. This week my options included Jessabelle, Ouija and Kelibat. Since work finished early, I was already at the mall by 5pm and Kelibat was on in half an hour. I flashed my student card and paid RM8 for a one person ticket. This was the first time I actually paid for a Malay horror movie.

The movie was  a mash up of different ghost. There was no blood or loud  and deep breathing like in most horror movies. I personally like it because it had the right amount of scary without giving you nightmares for months. I think there was also a few times when I laugh because there was some funny parts to it. 

Summary: 
Family of five had to evacuate their house as the loan sharks were coming after them. They escaped to an old resort place in the middle of no where. Everyone is upset with the father because he had promised them a holiday but turns out to be a cheap escape. The house itself oozes old and haunted. There is a big swimming pool inside which is significantly important for the plot.Each night the family members is visited by different ghost which makes them agitated and more angry living together. One day it got so extreme that one person decided to kill everyone in the family. 


Rate:
8/10 
Its actually a good movie to watch but you need to understand the back and forth between Malay and English. There seems to be no subtitle. The characters are of urban background using words with a bit of American influence. Its not scary but I wouldn't recommend bring children to watch. I can still remember the flashes of ghost moments in the movie. Graphics for this movie was fantastic. Characters have distinctive personalities but I am unable to remember the names because they use a lot of nicknames between one another.  

Favourite Moment:
The teenage girl walks into the abandoned cinema of the old resort and decided to take a selfie. When she checked her phone, guess what's smiling in the background. Omg, that was scary!

Is it better than Conjuring? I don't think its as wickedly terrorizing as Conjuring but Kelibat can give you chills and feel somewhat more religious after watching it. 

Kelibat Official Trailer(2014)

Jessabelle Official Trailer(2014)

Ouija Official Trailer(2014)


No comments: